Whew! What a week…I am still on a high and catching my breath 😉 from Social Media Day Conference at the Mahwah Regional Chamber of Commerce.
I am honored to have been such an intrinsic part of organizing this Conference together with other members of the (small kickass) MRCC social media committee.
After a good ten months of planning, it was amazing to see it all come together so well, and get such positive feedback from the +150 attendees.
Each workshop presenter was “hand picked” and an expert in their field. Each workshop topic is a key component for making social media and digital marketing work for your business.
So I want to “summarize” and share these main takeaways with you, which I gave in my closing Keynote at the end of the Conference.
As business owners, I think this will really help you boost your business this year!
Based on the workshop topics underpinning the Conference, these should be the key components of your social media and online strategy:
- Content Creation
- Social Media Channels
- Email Marketing
- Building Your List
- Video & Live Streaming
- SEO and Local Search
- Mobile Responsiveness for EVERYTHING!
- Automate & Schedule
- Measurement & ROI
These are the main key takeaways:
#1. Social media/digital marketing is not a choice anymore. It’s a must have.
#2. With Google Search and mobile usage growing exponentially, people are searching for information 24/7, mostly on mobile. They must be able to find you!
#3. ‘Findability’ Will Make or Break Your Online Business. Period.
Once you have a presence on social media please consider this:
- Have a strategy and a plan in order to succeed.
- Clarify your message across all channels.
- Provide valuable content.
- Start slow, and ramp up. Resources are limited.
- Don’t be everywhere. Choose 2-3 social media channels and rock them!
- Be authentic. Be real. Be human. Connection with your followers is key.
- It’s not free. Advertise. Allocate advertising budget to amplify your presence.
- It’s not free. Execution. It’s your time or someone else’s time you are paying for.
- This is not a magic potion. Success does not happen overnight. It takes time.
- Be consistent. Show up consistently over time. Do not go dark.
- This stuff works!
- Just do it!
Social media/digital marketing is not a sprint. It’s a long distance marathon.
BONUS: The lunchtime Keynote speaker was Francis Cole Jones. She is author of “How to Wow – Proven Strategies for Selling Your (Brilliant) Self in Any Situation”. Watch her brilliant TedEX Talk to get an idea of the important info she shared: achieve more powerful communications for you and your business everywhere – social digital, face-to-face, but especially in your social media channels. This is KEY to success and differentiating yourself in today’s increasingly competitive landscape.
Like everything else in life. What you put in, is what you get out.
Social media is the same. How much are you putting into it?
As always, contact me with any questions, feedback, or comments. I’m here to help you.
Sign up HERE to get my blogs directly to your inbox! I keep them practical and useful to help you get results for your business.